The Ground Up Initiative with Chef Dave Krog
Applications are now closed.
At the 275 Food Project, our mission is to build a thriving local food economy that is fair and inclusive. We work with our partners to offer equitable opportunities for living wage work and business ownership across the food system.
The Ground Up Initiative is a collaboration between 275 Food, Chef Dave Krog and his wife, Amanda Krog, to provide aspiring chefs of color access to the tools, training and financing required to advance along a path to business ownership.
The Ground Up Initiative will offer Chefs in Residence the following:
● the opportunity to lead and manage an innovative kitchen with a social justice mission
● a 3-day externship with a notable fusion taco restaurant in the United States, including training in all aspects of running a thriving restaurant business from ‘back of house’ skills to accounting
● monthly farm-to-fork trainings with Chef Krog and other local/national chefs
● entree into a chef/owner network that includes introductions to restaurant investors
● an annual stipend of $40,000 with profit share potential
● ongoing support from 275 Food Project designated mentors
● Candidate applications: closed
● Winner, Chef in Residence, announced late July 2019
● Externships take place between August and September of 2019
● 275 Food Fellowship period is August 2019 – February 2020
● This program is available to food professionals of color who do not own their own restaurant and have been residing in Memphis, TN for at least one year.
● Applicants must be currently working in the restaurant industry and have a minimum of three years experience.
● Applicants must be at least 21 years old with legal status to work.
● The application form and the short-answer questions must be completed.
● All transcripts from education or programs obtained during the past three years must be submitted.
● Two professional letters of reference must be attached and additional letters of recommendation are encouraged and welcomed.
● Applicants must be available to interview with a member or members of our selection panel either in person or via Skype.